The Feb-20-2007 posting asked the poll question, Which Toolboxes from the MathWorks do you use (check all that apply)? After approximately 1 week, 38 votes were cast in total (including 1 by myself). The poll results follow:
1. Curve Fitting Toolbox (1 vote) 3%
2. Fuzzy Logic Toolbox (2 votes) 5%
3. Genetic Algorithm Toolbox (1 vote) 3%
4. Image Processing Toolbox (8 votes) 21%
5. Neural Network Toolbox (2 votes) 5%
6. Optimization Toolbox (6 votes) 16%
7. Signal Processing Toolbox (5 votes) 13%
8. Spline Toolbox (0 votes) 0%
9. Statistics Toolbox (13 votes) 34%
Not surprisingly, the Statistics Toolbox is the most popular among this crowd. The use of some of the other analytical toolboxes (such Neural Network and Fuzzy Logic Toolboxes) is also expected, though I was surprised both by the complete absence of anyone responding using the Spline Toolbox and the fairly good turn-out for the Optimization Toolbox. Given the popularity of the Jan-26-2007 posting, Pixel Classificiation Project, the 8 votes cast for the Image Processing Toolbox is expected.
Bootstrapping just the Statistics Toolbox results gives:
>> n = 38; p = 13 / 38; prctile(mean(double(rand(n,10000) < p)),[5 95])
So, with a 90% confidence interval, readers' use of the Statistics toolbox is somewhere between 21% and 47%.